[MPlayer-dev-eng] writing video output plugin

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Thu Jul 17 13:22:02 CEST 2003

Vrihad Shoonya said:

> Hi!
>
>>I'm working on XvMC support in mplayer.
>>XvMC is the common API for mpeg1/2 hardware
>>acceleration under X. You can take a look
>>at http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/
> Sure.
>
>>what is the state of SiS driver in XFree86?
> I am using Linux 2.4.18 with stock drivers for
> SiS frame buffer support. SiS has provided a
> tiny X binary which is working fine with my
> setup. When I tried to compile X from sources
> after applying SiS related patches obtained from
> the net, it didn't work. It was over six months
> back. Apparently SiS drivers from
> http://www.winischhofer.net/sisdri.shtml works
> well now.
Yes i took a look. No XvMC support mensioned.

> By the way, so far I have very little knowledge
> about xvmc and other video programming stuff.
> In the xine mailing list someone mentioned that
> xvmc should be the standard used for h/w mpeg
> decoder libraries. Here I would like to know
> whether I can use xvmc while writing a decoder
> plugin for mplayer when the vendor has already
> provided some arbitrary library to implement
> MOCOMP and IDCT using the h/w.

  Well, it is all up to you.
It depends what you have, what you want to do, and how mach work
are you ready to handle.
  Take into account that XvMC is X11 video extension, so it requare X.
  On another side, you could use the changed decoders (i'm in contact with
ffmpeg people right now) if you want to make a xvmc compatiable library.
In meening that it will use same DataBlocks and Blocks structures for
exported mpeg data, but won't mess with X. In this case would only need to
write a wrapper.
  If you have a full-featured libary that could decode mpeg on its own, i
see no
reason to make your life harder and to write wrapers. It also could be also
faster this way.

> Thanks for the help
> vrihad

Best Regards