[MPlayer-dev-eng] writing video output plugin

Vrihad Shoonya vrihad at myway.com
Thu Jul 17 08:24:05 CEST 2003

Hi!

>SiS does not support Linux or XFree86,
Now they claim that they support Linux
because many of their chips are getting
into internet appliance field. Here Linux
is a great cost saver for oems. But still
you can't expect any open source support
from SiS. Most of the stuff provided to
oems are in the binary form. So there is
no scope for improvement in OSS fashion.
:-(

>but there is a good community driver which
>has nearly all the features you need with SiS,
>like XVideo or DRI (only until XFree86 4.2.1
>no one has ported the DRI Code to the new Mesa
>API used in XFree86 4.3.0). For further
>informations go to
>http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml
This guy has done some great work in this field
for last few years without getting any monetary
support from SiS. I wonder why companies like
SiS doesn't employ guys like him for their driver
development?

cheers
vrihad