[MPlayer-dev-eng] MGA Xv sux...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jul 20 13:54:11 CEST 2002

Hi,

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 12:38:00AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Maybe it's just really impossible to allocate SHM memory in video ram?
> > Or just the boy designing it thought that every card can do DMA transfers
> > easily? (maybe he's right?)
>
> That is a very good point -- I think it would be pretty easy to add
easy????????
nope. it requires specially allocated linear memory area, programming both
the MB and vga dma controller, set up busmastering etc..
Nick tried to implement it for radeon in vidix, using kernel module helper,
but afaik no success.
Peter Surda did it for rage128 Xv driver spending about half year with DRM
hacking... i wouldn't call it easy.
ah, and nvidia's binary shit also uses dma in Xv.

> dma transfer support tp mga_vid/vidix/fbdev. I think SDL (which is
i doubt it. sdl is an userspace lib... dma requires kernel space and
deep knowledge of chip details. maybe directfb does it, i remember reading
it somewhere, but i'm not sure.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team