[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorenson 3 encoding :)))))

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Thu Dec 26 04:21:41 CET 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 12:21, you wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 19:04, Balatoni Denes wrote:
> > Hi!
> > But hopefully they don't care about mplayer/ffmpeg, as it was said before
> > me. And hopefully xvid is kind of legal. And xiph.org will come up with
> > something great soon maybe, and we can all forget about patents.
>
> as i know xiph. org is playing with theora or which is basically putting
> on2's VP3 codec into the ogg container format...
>
> vp3 is free ( some parts are patented by on2, but they made an
> irrevokable whatever that states that you can use it freely to do
> anything ).
>
> the question is:
>
> does anyone have any experience with VP3? how does it compete with
> mpeg4?

Based on some video encoded with the example player and encoder (theora alpha
release 1) vs mplayer/mencoder (0.90pre5?) it was smaller but only of
slightly less quality. On a couple of places where it had sort of ripples in
the color, and such it was noticible, but other than that, not very bad at
all.

James L