[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: RTSP/RTP streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 20:50:12 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:54 am, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >I finally got a chance to play with the RSTP/RTP integration from the LIVE
> >lib. Nice work Ross.
> >I have several questions that I couldn't answer from RTMF & RTMS.
> >
> >I Have seen that to solve firewall issue you suggested fixing the firewall
> > to allow UDP packets. That's not really easily feasable in all case.
>
> That's true, but note that if you are behind a firewall that blocks UDP,
> you are not able to fully participate in the Internet.  All voice-over-IP
> (IP telephony) uses RTP/UDP.  All Internet videoconferencing uses
> RTP/UDP.  All Internet television (and a lot of Internet radio) uses
> RTP/UDP.  So, you should *really* try to get your firewall fixed.

Yes, I know that UDP is more efficient for real-time application.
The point is, it's not always easy to "fix" the firewall for that.
Users can't ask there IT dep to fix the firewall so they can
play movies.
For mplayer concern, we just want the RTP/TCP for playing video back.

> >To solve this issue the RFC 2326 specify in section 10.12 the
> >"Embedded (interleaved) Binary Data".
> >I'm was wondering if the LIVE library implement this part of the RFC?
>
> Not yet (the code currently has the ability to send RTP packets over the
> TCP connection, but not yet receive such packets).  However, this is on my
> "to do" list, and when I've implemented this, I'll add it to the "mplayer"
> RTSP support.

Do you have a ETA for that? (approximatly...)

> (Note that this RTP-over-TCP hack will work only for RTSP-initiated RTP
> sessions, and not for the other uses of RTP that I noted above.)

Yes, only RTSP/RTP would be fine.
BTW, Apple is using a different version than the RFC one.
It's an RSTP/HTTP crap. I already reversed that, and can help
for that if you want.

> >Another questions:
> >How do you easily add some field in the RTSP requests?
> >like adding the User-Agent and other Pragma fields?
>
> Right now you would need to modify the RTSP client code (in the LIVE.COM
> libraries) to do this.  However, I think it would be a good idea to allow
> RTSP clients (such as "mplayer") to set the "User-Agent", so I'll try to
> add support for this soon.

Not only set the mplayer user agent, but also fake the WMPlayer user-agent for
WMP9 soon to be released.
I also need to be able to set any kind of field in all RTSP requests
(DESCRIBE, SETUP, PLAY...) on mplayer code side.

Bertrand