[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: RTSP/RTP streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Aug 27 18:54:38 CEST 2002

>I finally got a chance to play with the RSTP/RTP integration from the LIVE
>lib. Nice work Ross.
>I have several questions that I couldn't answer from RTMF & RTMS.
>
>I Have seen that to solve firewall issue you suggested fixing the firewall to
>allow UDP packets. That's not really easily feasable in all case.

That's true, but note that if you are behind a firewall that blocks UDP,
you are not able to fully participate in the Internet.  All voice-over-IP
(IP telephony) uses RTP/UDP.  All Internet videoconferencing uses
RTP/UDP.  All Internet television (and a lot of Internet radio) uses
RTP/UDP.  So, you should *really* try to get your firewall fixed.

>To solve this issue the RFC 2326 specify in section 10.12 the
>"Embedded (interleaved) Binary Data".
>I'm was wondering if the LIVE library implement this part of the RFC?

Not yet (the code currently has the ability to send RTP packets over the
TCP connection, but not yet receive such packets).  However, this is on my
"to do" list, and when I've implemented this, I'll add it to the "mplayer"
RTSP support.

(Note that this RTP-over-TCP hack will work only for RTSP-initiated RTP
sessions, and not for the other uses of RTP that I noted above.)

>Another questions:
>How do you easily add some field in the RTSP requests?
>like adding the User-Agent and other Pragma fields?

Right now you would need to modify the RTSP client code (in the LIVE.COM
libraries) to do this.  However, I think it would be a good idea to allow
RTSP clients (such as "mplayer") to set the "User-Agent", so I'll try to
add support for this soon.

         Ross.