[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD player????

Jason Lassaline jason at oddjob.utias.utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 27 20:25:34 CEST 2001

Nick Kurshev wrote:

> Hi, Balazs Tibor!
>
> On 2001-06-27 18:52:25 you wrote:
>
> >yet another info from http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> >"Software decoders need at least a 350 MHz Pentium II and a DVD-ROM drive
> >with bus mastering DMA to play without dropped frames. Anything slower
> >than a 400 MHz Pentium III will benefit quite a bit from hardware decode
> >acceleration in the graphics card. An AGP graphics card (rather than PCI)
> >also improves the performance of software decoders."
> >
> >If I remember well, mplayer's needs are lower. Am I right?
> >
> >Since I don't have a DVD-ROM nor a PII, I can't test it :-)
> IT'S A LIE! My Duron-700 with PCI S3VirgeDX drops frames at 800x600
> screen resolution during DVD playback. I'm not sure but IMHO AGP4x with
> MPEG2 hardware support (like ATI Radeon) will not drop frames even on
> P1-200. But slower video cards like PCI S3 Virge will drop frames even on
> Athlon 1400.
>
> Best regards! Nick (2001-06-27 21:58:17)

On a AMD K6-III 400MHz with a 3dfx Banshee AGP 2x and a PCI 128 sound card,
all the
software DVD players I've tried for Linux have to drop frames to play audio &
video in sync.  The 3dNow & MMX accelerations for video & audio help a lot to
keep video & audio cpu load down on average, but during peak demand (quickly
changing video frames with heavy audio) either video or audio suffers.

--
                                      Jason Lassaline
Aerospace Engineering -- Computational Fluid Dynamics