[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD player????

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Jun 28 00:08:17 CEST 2001

Hi, Balazs Tibor!

On 2001-06-27 18:52:25 you wrote:

>yet another info from http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
>"Software decoders need at least a 350 MHz Pentium II and a DVD-ROM drive
>with bus mastering DMA to play without dropped frames. Anything slower
>than a 400 MHz Pentium III will benefit quite a bit from hardware decode
>acceleration in the graphics card. An AGP graphics card (rather than PCI)
>also improves the performance of software decoders."
>
>If I remember well, mplayer's needs are lower. Am I right?
>
>Since I don't have a DVD-ROM nor a PII, I can't test it :-)
IT'S A LIE! My Duron-700 with PCI S3VirgeDX drops frames at 800x600
screen resolution during DVD playback. I'm not sure but IMHO AGP4x with
MPEG2 hardware support (like ATI Radeon) will not drop frames even on
P1-200. But slower video cards like PCI S3 Virge will drop frames even on
Athlon 1400.

Best regards! Nick (2001-06-27 21:58:17)