[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD: anything else besides libcss?

Jason Lunz j at falooley.org
Mon Jul 9 22:04:53 CEST 2001

lgb at lgb.hu said:
> dvdcss = dvdcss_open( ppsz_argv[1], DVDCSS_INIT_QUIET );
> dvdcss_seek( dvdcss, i_sector );
> As you can see with libdvdcss you MUST know the starting sector of the
> object as well...

why? the lib has no concept of the .VOB file "object", because it just
views the video stream as a linear stream of sectors. I believe that's
the point of libdvdcss...you don't have to worry about the
authentication, you just seek by sector and it handles all the
decrypting.

of course, i don't know what i'm talking about. i need to go read some
code and keep my mouth shut. :)

> The API is block oriented and there is NO option for opening a FILE.
> So without an IFO parser we must use FIBMAP with libdvdcss too

yes, but i think there is enough GPL IFO parsing code in both videolan
and ogle to do that. I'm just speculating here, i haven't had time to go
over the code. But i know that videolan works great for playing dvds,
without mounting the dvd and without being root.

> ... ANd I've got the bad feeling that I cannot controll authentication
> and descrambling freely enough with libdvdcss compared to use libcss.

i doubt it. videolan has better seeking capabilites for dvd than
mplayer. the only reason i don't use videolan for dvd watching is that
it's not as fast as mplayer and it likes to crash.

jason