[Mplayer-dev-eng] DVD: anything else besides libcss?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Jul 9 21:51:41 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 02:34:48PM -0400, Jason Lunz wrote:
> FIBMAP, it already knows the physical sector address. that would also
> explain why the dvd doesn't have to be mounted. it seems that it must be
> able to read the UDF filesystem off of the raw device itself, without
> using the kernel to help.
>
> IMO, dvd playing should:
>  - use libdvdcss for the advantages mentioned above, and
>  - use the code i hear is in ogle to parse IFO format to get goodies
>    like subtitle palettes and the DVD menus.

Hmmmm. I've just checked out API documentation of libdvdcss.
Sample code:

dvdcss = dvdcss_open( ppsz_argv[1], DVDCSS_INIT_QUIET );
dvdcss_seek( dvdcss, i_sector );

As you can see with libdvdcss you MUST know the starting sector of the
object as well ... The API is block oriented and there is NO option for
opening a FILE. So without an IFO parser we must use FIBMAP with libdvdcss
too ... ANd I've got the bad feeling that I cannot controll authentication
and descrambling freely enough with libdvdcss compared to use libcss.

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!