[Mplayer-dev-eng] S/PDIF passthrough patch "nearly" finished... need

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 7 21:18:32 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > you should handle it in ao2_oss driver, based on value of format.
> > and also handle it in PCM driver in dec_audio.c (calculating
> > bytes/sec, and add extra header bytes)
>
> ok.
>
> > i think you doesn't understand the basic layout of mplayer.
>
> Most probably not, I never claimed to do that yet. I just want to help adding
> a tiny but desperately needed feature to mplayer, and of course I didn't
> read the whole source or know what every function does.
Doesn't require. Just read DOCS/tech-eng.txt, and check what functions are
in main files, like mplayer.c, dec_audio.c, libao2.

I have to update tech-eng.txt, but only a few changes was made after last
update.

> If you can give me a reference to a description of the basic layout
> I'll read it and maybe it enables me to write a patch that pleases you,
> but if it's your precondition for anyone who wants to submit a patch
> that one has complete insight in every aspect of the code, I cannot help.
Sorry, but I'm working on code cleanup, and API generalization for 2 months.
I must be finished in 1-2 weeks, to allow gui integration.
You must understand that I don't want to add messy code patches now...

I would do it myself, but i haven't spdif ac3 decoder system or what.
(i have sb live, but using analog amplifier on line-out)

> > > I thought you liked the console, too... why are you against a minor
> > > additional feature that is necessary to make it sensible to use
> > > mplayer without X11?
> >
> > mplayer [options] file > /dev/null
> >
> > much simpler.
>
> But not sufficient. One needs to clear the console screen
> before playing, and also you'd at least need to redirect
> stderr too to make sure some minor error messages won't clutter
> the screen: "clear; mplayer [options] file >/dev/null 2>&1"
> I think this cumbersomeness is reason enough for an oh-so-simple
> switch...

clear; mplayer [options] file &>/dev/null

btw error messages shouldn't redirected to null, they are important.
i print only fatal errors to stderr, warnings and other stuff is printed to
stdout.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu