[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: vo_directx: no triple buffering with certain videos [followup]

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 19 15:06:17 CET 2007

Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:04:58AM +0100, Frank Aurich wrote:
> [...]
>>> Some info about my system:
>>>
>>> Athlon XP 3000+
>>> 1GB RAM
>>> Radeon X800 Pro
>>> Window Vista Business RTM
>> I added some debug code to vo_directx.c to check for the return value of
>> the CreateSurface function.
>>
>> It returns DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY :/
>>
>> My videocard has 256MB of RAM, that should normally be enough, shouldn't it?
>
> My conclusion is, that despite claims to the opposite, even on windows
> ATI's drivers are still crap (actually, NVidia seems to have problems
> with HD videos played via directshow, too. Things get very slow. For
> playing videos they obviously managed to make their Windows-drivers
> worse than the linux ones).
> Anyway, enough ranting. With that kind of card you can probably use the
> same workaround as people do on linux: use the "-vo gl:yuv=4" option (if
> your drivers properly support OpenGL on Vista, otherwise that's what you
> get for being an early adopter). Could also try "-vo gl:yuv=4:lscale=1"
> for better quality.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

ATi drivers do not support OpenGL yet on Vista, so that unfortunately is not an
option right now.

I still don't get it though. I've been watching higher res videos with Mplayer
for a while now, also using Vista, and I didn't notice anything strange then.

Is there a way to find out how much video memory is available (to DirectDraw)?

Btw, I forgot to mention that I have a 20" widescreen display with a 1680x1050
resolution.

Frank