[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: vo_directx: no triple buffering with certain videos [followup]

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Jan 19 10:35:54 CET 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:04:58AM +0100, Frank Aurich wrote:
[...]
> >Some info about my system:
> >
> >Athlon XP 3000+
> >1GB RAM
> >Radeon X800 Pro
> >Window Vista Business RTM
>
> I added some debug code to vo_directx.c to check for the return value of
> the CreateSurface function.
>
> It returns DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY :/
>
> My videocard has 256MB of RAM, that should normally be enough, shouldn't it?

My conclusion is, that despite claims to the opposite, even on windows
ATI's drivers are still crap (actually, NVidia seems to have problems
with HD videos played via directshow, too. Things get very slow. For
playing videos they obviously managed to make their Windows-drivers
worse than the linux ones).
Anyway, enough ranting. With that kind of card you can probably use the
same workaround as people do on linux: use the "-vo gl:yuv=4" option (if
your drivers properly support OpenGL on Vista, otherwise that's what you
get for being an early adopter). Could also try "-vo gl:yuv=4:lscale=1"
for better quality.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger