[MPlayer-cygwin] -ss and -endpos not exact

TAJTHY Tamás tajthy at mailbox.hu
Fri Dec 28 10:00:54 CET 2007

Dear Stefan,

thank Yor for the idea! Maybe I'll try it, but at first I try to solve this
problem with mencoder and cygwin having the chance that I'll fail... :-)

After a while I had some progress. Reading the man page again I found a solution
for the part of my proble. It is possible to cut different parts from a file or
several files and concatenate this chunks to one file. So this

>> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -ss $time1 -endpos $len1 -o fifo patch.avi;
>> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -ss $time2 -endpos $len2 -o fifo patch.avi;

can be done in one step.

I found in the man page:

"mencoder [options] file1 [specific options] [file2] [specific options]"

I tried like this:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy patch.avi -ss $time1 -endpos $len1 patch.avi -ss
$time2 -endpos $len2 -o test.avi

and it does work!

I even tried if it is possible to write several files using several "-o file"
arguments, but mencoder uses only the last "-o". :-( Fortunatelly this is not too
serious problem... :-)

Then I tried to write to the fifo, but the reading part failed:

mknod fifo p
mencoder ... vpass=1 ... -o xTest.avi fifo&

but it fails stating that mencoder is not able to open the specified file/device
(error message: "cannot open file/device").

I tried to use

mencoder ... vpass=1 ... -o xTest.avi - >fifo&

or even the not so nice

cat fifo|mencoder ... vpass=1 ... -o xTest.avi -&

I this case mencoder sais that it can not specify the file type and fails...

Does anybody knows why mencoder can not handle fifo file? Is it the problem of
cygwin? I read a specific doc about the difference of NT named pipes and UN*X
fifos. Maybe this is not implemented.

If I get home I'll try to use a normal pipe like this:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -really-quiet patch.avi\
 -ss $time1 -endpos $len1 patch.avi -ss $time2 -endpos $len2 -o - |\
 mencoder ... vpass=1 ... -o xTest.avi -

I hope this will work!

Thanx again!

Good byte!