[MPlayer-cygwin] RE: Building Mplayer to use live555 streaming libraries for Windows Mobile 2003

Chris Taylor chris at equate.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 15 10:39:04 CET 2006

#PHANG CHEE WOH,DERRICK# wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.

As you may notice, I've corrected your line wrapping..
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL - despite this being an mplayer
list, I believe this applies.

> I would like to find out if it is possible to build mplayer for the
> windows mobile 2003 platform. From many documentations that I have
> read, eVC++ may be required for the windows mobile platform.

My responses are inlined, but afaik mplayer requires gcc, and for your
purposes would probably need mingw to build, seeing as I don't believe
there is a version of cygwin for windows mobile. (I don't know if there
is one of mingw either)

> My question is: 1. Can we build Mplayer to run on this Windows mobile
> platform?

Gut response: no.
Longer response: probably not, but yes, if mingw or cygwin work and gcc
compiles correctly for that target.
A further yes would be if gcc can cross-compile to that target (in theory).

> 2. Can we build a graphical interface for this instead of running
> from the command line, which may not even be possible on Windows
> Mobile?

mplayer has a GUI, and there are many alternative gui's kicking around.
It is possible to disable the console output, i think.. Though i'm not
entirely sure about that..
I wouldn't want to run mplayer w/o the ability to view what it's saying
on the console.

> 3. If we build Mplayer to run on such a platform and use some
> external libraries, can we build it into a single package that can
> readily be used on this platform?

That would depend on yourself and your packaging method. There's no
reason you couldn't do that that I am aware of.

> Any assistance is much appreciated.
>
> Derrick

Chris
--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world