[MPlayer-cygwin] [BUGREPORT] [NOVIRUS]MPlayer/MEncoderreproduciblecrash on

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 06:38:37 CET 2005

Eureka!

It seems that the problem was hyperthreading. When I disable it, MEncoder
and MPlayer both work. When I enable it, they don't.

I thought of trying it because of the observation (which nobody commented
on) that my MEncoder output looks like this under Windows:

MEncoder dev-CVS-051116-18:48-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron D Prescott; Xeon Nocona (Family: 15, Stepping:
3)
CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

That is, configure detected SSE and SSE2, but MEncoder says SSE: 0 and SSE2:
0.

By the way, even with hyperthreading disabled, the output is as above.
However, in Linux, it correctly says SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Is this significant?

Can someone with a "P4 3.0G 800 FSB 478 1MB CACHE RETAIL" (as described in
my invoice)  confirm my findings with my sample file at
http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=098YGATL2US5W1RFM582WE64H0 ? My cpuinfo
output (hyperthreading disabled) on Windows is:
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
stepping        : 3
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov
pat pse36 cflsh ds acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm
cpu MHz         : 3056.570
model name      :               Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

>like i said before, i think the only solution is to find a different or
>non-crashing drv43260.dll.

That's what I was trying to achieve with RealMedia Splitter.

Thanks for your help. Even though it is not really an MPlayer problem,
trying to supply you with the necessary information eventually led me to the
solution.

I wonder how much this is going to slow down my encoding? Anyway, it's
better than working in Linux. I haven't got sound working yet.