[MPlayer-cygwin] Switches to compile mplayer on cygwin NODEAMON

Thomas Plank tplank at gmx.at
Tue Jan 18 18:48:55 CET 2005

Stefan Gürtler (helfmir at surfeu.de) wrote:

>> *) When I call mplayer, there is a pause of about 4-5 seconds and then the
>> remaining lines starting with "Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename"
>> appear.
>> For illustration:
>>
>> D:\>mplayer
>> MPlayer dev-CVS-050117-17:39-3.4.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
>> CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
>> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
>> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
>>
>> [PAUSE of ca. 4-5 seconds, mingw version does not do this!]
>>
>> Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename

>> <...snipped...>
>>
>> Is the cygwin1.dll call a possible reason?

> I have never encounterd such a long pause while lunching, neither with a
> MinGW build, nor with cygwin build, neither double-clicking the exe, nor
> running it in the posix-environment (MSYS or cygwin bash)

It doesn't matter, whether I click the .exe or call it from command prompt
in Windows or from the cygwin bash shell.

The first call requires 4-5 seconds to wait, if other calls follow in
quite short intervalls (last command, enter), then there is no pause.
Simply strange ...

 >>I think I have underestimated the effort for building a mplayer.exe
 >>correspondig to the official win32-beta.

> If you do not need some of the libs, let it be. And one has to comile
> the libs only once, than mplayer is linked against them everytime you
> run ./configure && make && make install.
> cygwin should have precompiled packages for most of the libs anyway.

Yes, indeed.
--
mfg Thomas