[MPlayer-cygwin] Switches to compile mplayer on cygwin NODEAMON

Stefan Gürtler helfmir at surfeu.de
Mon Jan 17 22:05:22 CET 2005

Thomas Plank schrieb:
> Diego Biurrun (diego at biurrun.de) wrote:
>

>>Thomas Plank writes:

>>>Thank you very much. Yesterday I searched a little bit, but I didn't
>>>recognise the closest way.
>

>>Try starting off with reading the Windows section of the
>>documentation.  *sigh*
>

> [x] Done already in the past but forgotten. :-)
>
> It's looking good so far, I compiled mplayer on cygwin, even with directx.
> There is one remaining question:
>
> *) When I call mplayer, there is a pause of about 4-5 seconds and then the
> remaining lines starting with "Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename"
> appear.
> For illustration:
>
> D:\>mplayer
> MPlayer dev-CVS-050117-17:39-3.4.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
>
> [PAUSE of ca. 4-5 seconds, mingw version does not do this!]
>
> Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename
>
> Basic options: (complete list in the man page)
>  -vo <drv[:dev]>  select video output driver & device ('-vo help' for a list)
>  -ao <drv[:dev]>  select audio output driver & device ('-ao help' for a list)
>  dvd://<titleno>   play DVD title from device instead of plain file
>
> <...snipped...>
>
> Is the cygwin1.dll call a possible reason?

I have never encounterd such a long pause while lunching, neither with a
MinGW build, nor with cygwin build, neither double-clicking the exe, nor
running it in the posix-environment (MSYS or cygwin bash)

 >I think I have underestimated the effort for building a mplayer.exe
 >correspondig to the official win32-beta.

If you do not need some of the libs, let it be. And one has to comile
the libs only once, than mplayer is linked against them everytime you
run ./configure && make && make install.
cygwin should have precompiled packages for most of the libs anyway.

Stefan