[MPlayer-cygwin] Using third-party MPEG decoders

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Mon Oct 4 18:18:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have been trying to find a way to use the DxVA support in
my video card to offload some of the video decoding so I can
play HDTV files with a lower CPU load.

I briefly looked at modifying libmpeg2 to use the DxVA API
but gave up because it looked quite daunting.

I found three MPEG decoders - Intervideo DCD Xpack, Sonic
CinePlayer DVD Decoder Pack and CyberLink's PowerDVD - and all
three say that they use DxVA to improve DVD playback. Since
HDTV files are also MPEG-2, I am guessing they would also
help with playing back HDTV files.

All three can be used with Windows Media Player.

I would like to try to use the same decoders with mplayer.
How do I do this?

And since they all cost the same so I would like to know
if any one is better than the others, especially for mplayer.

Thanks,
Harshal