[MPlayer-advusers] [Bug] seek in youtube video fix

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sat Feb 23 15:35:24 CET 2013

Hi Simon,

On 02/23/2013 01:08 PM, Simon Walderich wrote:
> There is a fix that enables seeking in youtube videos even if the youtube
> http server states that it doesn't support seeking. The fix can be found
> in stream/http.c at line ~735. Mplayer checks if the server name is "gvs
> 1.0" and then enables seeking. But this doesn't work for me. I think
> because the youtube server changed its name.

What name does it use now?

How do you extract the video URL? I am using youtube-dl to download
videos before watching them with MPlayer (browser based players are too
slow on my computer).

> But wouldn't it be better to make a command line option for this instead
> of checking for a list of server names? (Something like
> -ForceEnableSeeking) I think (but don't know) that would be a rather small
> implementation and the good thing is, that it wouldn't need any further
> adjustments if server names are changing.

Sounds good to me, but I don't know what the MPlayer developers think
about it. You might try to come up with a patch and send it to
mplayer-dev-eng.

Erik