[MPlayer-advusers] Mplayer SEGV in module: ao2_init

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jul 30 12:20:10 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 03:09:12PM +0100, Stuart Foster wrote:
> With glibc 2.14 Mplayer is crashing in the ALSA set-up with a segv
> (see attached) prior to the segv if run under valgrind a memory
> error is reported in dl-close() (valgind report also in attachment).
> I can repeat the problem both on my quad core phenom system and also
> on a old IBM Thinkpad R51. Other applications linked against ALSA
> report the valgrind problem but I am only experiencing crashes with
> Mplayer. Please advise.

Whether accessing freed memory crashes or not is purely random.
Your ALSA setup continues to use a dlopen handle after it closed it
again.
I don't see how this could be MPlayer's fault, though the lack of
MPlayer debug info in the valgrind output makes it hard to say more.
Using Debian's libasound2 1.0.24.1-2 (x86_64) does however not produce
such valgrind warnings, to either it is fixed there or it depends on
your specific ALSA setup.