[MPlayer-advusers] mencoder reads wrong frame rateflag fromQuicktime files

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jul 29 13:44:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 02:07:35PM +0300, Shachar Raindel wrote:
> >>Im not a developer so I have no idea how to build mplayer from scratch
> >>I'm afraid! I'll have to wait until the win32 builds get updated and
> >>then try.
> >
> > any user can build mplayer. for win32 it means you have to download and
> > install mingw/msys. sometimes its difficult to do install and compile.
> >
> This is a very bad attitude. Being a developer, I'm not afraid of
> doing a ./configure && make && sudo make install. However, a vast
> majority of the world population doesn't have a compiler installed on
> their system (let alone a fully configured mingw/msys system). Most of
> the users also wants the software to *just work*. They don't want to
> have to fiddle with it for hours, just to get it working. Having a
> mindset in which "any user can build my project from sources" is
> dangerous for the project.

On this specific list at least I consider your comment very much out
of line.
That said, the user-friendlyness of MinGW was always questionable and
has been getting worse.
Using Cygwin might be simpler, if you do not care about OSD/text subtitle
etc., a
./configure --enable-static --with-yasm='' --cc=gcc-3.4 --extra-cflags=-mno-cygwin --extra-ldflags=-mno-cygwin --target=i686-mingw32 --enable-gui
directly after installation even produces a binary that works without the cygwin runtime.
But even compared to that, installing Ubuntu first and compiling MPlayer
on that probably still could be considered simpler...