[MPlayer-advusers] mencoder reads wrong frame rateflag fromQuicktime files

Shachar Raindel shacharr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:07:35 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:29:27 +0100, Dominic Bird wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:16:44AM +0100, Dominic Bird wrote:
>>Im not a developer so I have no idea how to build mplayer from scratch
>>I'm afraid! I'll have to wait until the win32 builds get updated and
>>then try.
>
> any user can build mplayer. for win32 it means you have to download and
> install mingw/msys. sometimes its difficult to do install and compile.

This is a very bad attitude. Being a developer, I'm not afraid of
doing a ./configure && make && sudo make install. However, a vast
majority of the world population doesn't have a compiler installed on
their system (let alone a fully configured mingw/msys system). Most of
the users also wants the software to *just work*. They don't want to
have to fiddle with it for hours, just to get it working. Having a
mindset in which "any user can build my project from sources" is
dangerous for the project.
See http://xkcd.com/196/ for another thought on that subject.

--Shachar