[MPlayer-advusers] mov from Apples Shoot Em Up trailer can't be shown

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jul 7 02:55:25 CEST 2007

Hi!

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Corey Hickey wrote:

> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Following mov file cannot be decoded by mplayer:
>> http://movies.apple.com/trailers/newline/shootemup/images/index_480p.mov
>
> You might get a better answer from someone else, but here's what I know.
>
>> From the file's name and size, I'm guessing that's some sort of an
> interactive playlist (no quicktime here, so I might be wrong).

No, the file contains a "picture" fitting into the site you mention downwards
probably showing the text "480p". There is no link inside, the target is
hardcoded into the html EMBED tag.
With "picture" I mean that most pages contain a jpeg inside a mov as a link to
the HD trailer, some (older ones) contained a gif (that was fixed by Reimar, I
hoped he would look at this one as well), this is only the second RAW picture I
saw on these Apple pages.
AFAICT it contains 32 bit raw picture data, but vd_raw.c (or libswscaler?)
doesn't recognize it.

> If you go
> to the page for that trailer:
>
> http://movies.apple.com/trailers/newline/shootemup/
>
> ...you can click on the small/medium/large hyperlinks to choose a video.
>> From the source of one of those pages, you can get another playlist file:
>
> http://images.apple.com/movies/newline/shoot_em_up/shoot_em_up-tlr1_h.640.mov
>
> ...and you can look at that file with a text editor or hex editor to see
> the actual file, which is:
>
> http://images.apple.com/movies/newline/shoot_em_up/shoot_em_up-tlr1_h640w.mov

There are no problems (for me) whith these files, only with the raw picture.

> Alternatively, mplayerplug-in appears to handle the second playlist file
> and plays the actual video automagically.

But instead of showing the picture, mplayerplug-in shows the Start Button which
means mplayer wasn't able to convert the mov into a jpeg.

Thanks for having a look, Carl Eugen

PS: Your email looks rather damaged here:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-advusers/2007-July/001685.html
I had nearly sent a question "What do you know?"