[MPlayer-advusers] DVB documentation unclear/outdated

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Feb 11 12:11:14 CET 2007

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de wrote:

> In http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#dvb it says:
>
>    USAGE. Hardware decoding (playing standard MPEG-1/2 files) can be done with
> this command:
>
>  mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes file.mpg|vob
>
>    Software  decoding  or  transcoding  different  formats  to  MPEG-1  can be
> achieved using a command like this:
>
>  mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes yourfile.ext
>

> How is that ment?

now the description in video.xml is crystal-clear

>>>4) In connection with mpegpes there is also  mpeg-4  mentioned.  Is  that
>>>for
>>>chips which can do mpeg-4 hardware decoding?
>>>

>>none of them is supported; maybe there's an example to transcode from
>>dvb input to mpeg4
>

> I don't think the examples show a way of transcoding to mpeg4  for  they  just
> have a video filter addition. Have a look for yourself.

excerpt from video.xml_
<para>
If you want to record it in a different format (re-encoding it) instead
you can run a command such as
<screen>
mencoder -o <replaceable>r1.avi</replaceable> -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
bitrate=800 \
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -pp=ci
dvb://<replaceable>R1</replaceable>
</screen>
</para>

change xvid with lavc and adjust the encoding options as you prefer to
obtain mpeg4

>>>6) Last there is "realtime transcoding between MPEG-2  and   MPEG-4
>>>(partial
>>>decompression)" mentioned. It seems this is outdated. In my researches I
>>>found
>>>out that in 2002 it had been  dropped  off  the  ToDo-list.  I  couldn't
>>>find
>>>anything newer to that concerning mplayer/mencoder. Is it possible now?
>>>

>>it's been possible since dvb:// and demux_ts were added to mplayer
>

> Doing  some  research  with  your  hint  to demux_ts I wasn't able to find any
> examples or hints how to transcode my dvb input to a mpeg4 output-file.  Could
> You please provide some?What programme is in charge for transcoding mplayer or
> mencoder? (I know there is the programme transcode as well;))

mencoder

> What  uses demux_ts: -demuxer lavf or  -demuxer mpegts?

isn't the filename clear enough? demux_ts; anyway -demuxer lavf can be
used to demux dvb streams, too

>>>Finally: If I use the keys 'h' or 'k' to change the channel when watching
>>>dvb-
>>>t  mplayer  changes  it  but  then  does  not  take any further input from
>>>the
>>>keyboard.
>>>

>>??
>

> Doing some tests I found out that only -vo xv,svga,aa,fbdev allow  me  to  use
> 'h'  or 'k' to change the channel without dropping input reads. I am very fond
> of the vidix driver. Is it a bug that it doesn't work with cvidix nor  xvidix?
>

> What original file should I use for creating a patch to the DVB-docs?
>
> Regards,
> Lynx

xvidix does accept 'h', 'k' and shows the osd menu. I use it every day

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users