[MPlayer-advusers] DVB documentation unclear/outdated

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sat Feb 10 22:22:05 CET 2007

Hallo Nico Sabbi!

I wouldn't mind writing a patch for the DVB docs if I had the confidence to be
knowleged enough to do so.

On 09/02/07 23:32:18, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> lynx.abraxas at freenet.de wrote:
> >2) The hardware decoding example differs from the first software decoding
> >line
> >only in the file name. Does the file extension make the difference?
> >

> no

In http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#dvb it says:

   USAGE. Hardware decoding (playing standard MPEG-1/2 files) can be done with
this command:

 mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes file.mpg|vob

   Software  decoding  or  transcoding  different  formats  to  MPEG-1  can be
achieved using a command like this:

 mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes yourfile.ext

How is that ment?

> >4) In connection with mpegpes there is also  mpeg-4  mentioned.  Is  that
> >for
> >chips which can do mpeg-4 hardware decoding?
> >

> none of them is supported; maybe there's an example to transcode from
> dvb input to mpeg4

I don't think the examples show a way of transcoding to mpeg4  for  they  just
have a video filter addition. Have a look for yourself.

> >6) Last there is "realtime transcoding between MPEG-2  and   MPEG-4
> >(partial
> >decompression)" mentioned. It seems this is outdated. In my researches I
> >found
> >out that in 2002 it had been  dropped  off  the  ToDo-list.  I  couldn't
> >find
> >anything newer to that concerning mplayer/mencoder. Is it possible now?
> >
> it's been possible since dvb:// and demux_ts were added to mplayer

Doing  some  research  with  your  hint  to demux_ts I wasn't able to find any
examples or hints how to transcode my dvb input to a mpeg4 output-file.  Could
You please provide some?What programme is in charge for transcoding mplayer or
mencoder? (I know there is the programme transcode as well;))

What  uses demux_ts: -demuxer lavf or  -demuxer mpegts?

> >Finally: If I use the keys 'h' or 'k' to change the channel when watching
> >dvb-
> >t  mplayer  changes  it  but  then  does  not  take any further input from
> >the
> >keyboard.
> >

> ??

Doing some tests I found out that only -vo xv,svga,aa,fbdev allow  me  to  use
'h'  or 'k' to change the channel without dropping input reads. I am very fond
of the vidix driver. Is it a bug that it doesn't work with cvidix nor  xvidix?

What original file should I use for creating a patch to the DVB-docs?

Regards,
Lynx