[MPlayer-advusers] Build failure with libnut

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Feb 7 03:59:54 CET 2007

For some while now - I didn't notice what revision started it, but it
may even have been thousands ago - MPlayer has not compiled for me with
(the latest SVN of) libnut installed. The library is detected just fine
as far as compilation goes, but when it comes time to build mplayer
itself I get:

==
cc -o mplayer mplayer.o m_property.o mp_msg.o asxparser.o codec-cfg.o
cpudetect.o edl.o find_sub.o m_config.o m_option.o m_struct.o
parser-cfg.o playtree.o playtreeparser.o spudec.o sub_cc.o subreader.o
vobsub.o unrarlib.o mixer.o parser-mpcmd.o subopt-helper.o libvo/libvo.a
libao2/libao2.a input/libinput.a vidix/libvidix.a
libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a libaf/libaf.a libmpdemux/libmpdemux.a
stream/stream.a libswscale/libswscale.a libvo/libosd.a
libavformat/libavformat.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a libavutil/libavutil.a
libpostproc/libpostproc.a loader/libloader.a mp3lib/libMP3.a
liba52/liba52.a libmpeg2/libmpeg2.a libfaad2/libfaad2.a
tremor/libvorbisidec.a libass/libass.a osdep/libosdep.a -ldirectfb
-lXext -lX11 -lpthread -lXv -lXinerama -lGL -ldl -lggi -laa -lcaca
-lcucul -lvga -lSDL -laudio -lXt -ldl -lartsc -lpthread -lgmodule-2.0
-ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lpolyp-0.8
-lpolyp-error-0.8 -lpolyp-mainloop-0.8 -ljack -lopenal -lx264 -lpthread
-lmp3lame -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -Wl,-z,noexecstack
    -lncurses -lsmbclient -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lungif -lasound -ldl
-lpthread -L/usr/lib -ldvdnav -lpthread -lcdda_interface -lcdda_paranoia
-lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig  -L/usr/lib -lfribidi -lz -llzo -lmad
-lspeex -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/local/lib -ltheora -logg   -ldts
-lmpcdec -ldv -lnut -lpthread -ldl -rdynamic  -lm
libavformat/libavformat.a(allformats.o): In function `av_register_all':
allformats.c:(.text+0x3f3): undefined reference to `nut_muxer'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1
==

Uninstalling libnut, reconfiguring, and running 'make dep ; make' works
fine, but leaves me without libnut. (Not that I actually use it, but
it's the principle of the thing.)

The symbol in question is defined in both libavformat/nut.c and
libavformat/libnut.c (the former of which appears to be deprecated - I
don't think it gets pulled down with svn co anymore, but it's still in
my local tree), neither of which are compiled to .o files. I've made
efforts to track this down further, but have not been successful. Does
anyone know where (in MPlayer's build system, in libavformat's and
thence in FFmpeg, in libnut unlikely as that seems, somewhere else) the
problem is likely to lie, or at least have any pointers to help me
investigate further?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.