[MPlayer-advusers] terminology misunderstanding: pulldown vs telecine

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Oct 23 01:48:55 CEST 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:51:38 +0400
Andrew Savchenko <Bircoph at list.ru> wrote:

> The various methods by which this can be done are collectively
> referred to as "pulldown", of which the infamous NTSC
> "3:2 telecine" is one variety.

That's certainly a typo, with the terms switched.  (though not a very
important one)

> Are they (telecine and pulldown terms) synonyms?

Effectively, yes.  They are commonly used interchangably.  Neither is a
subset of the other.

If you want to get technical, telecine is the machine used to transfer
film onto video, while pulldown is the process of converting the ~24fps
film into ~30fps interlaced video.

> From the context of previous text (in encoding-guide.xml) I can
> conclude that this sentece is about video being interlaced without
> framerate change, IOW each frame was just transformed into two
> field with odd and even lines alternately. Am I right?

You are close.  There's no progressive "frames" involved, as TV shows
are filmed interlaced (one alternate field is captured every 1/60th of a
second to make 30fps interlaced video).