[MPlayer-advusers] terminology misunderstanding: pulldown vs telecine

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Mon Oct 23 00:51:38 CEST 2006

Hello all!

I can't clarify difference between "pulldown" and "telecine"
concepts currently. I'm in the middle of translation of
encoding-guide.xml (into Russian), where the problem of
distinguishing this terms was encountered. So, I'm relying on your
help.

Sorry if it is wrong mail list, but previously I was edified that
adv-users is more acceptable place for questions which not clearly
belongs to the other topics and which are not users meanwhile. I
haven't send this to documentation or translation ML, 'cause it
seems to be not a question about documentation improvement, but
rather about my misunderstanding of some points in it.

It is the first extract from encoding-guide.xml:
---
Whenever a movie is prepared
for display on television (including DVD), it is converted to a
field-based format.
The various methods by which this can be done are collectively
referred to as "pulldown", of which the infamous NTSC
"3:2 telecine" is one variety.
---

From this I can conclude that telecine technique is a subset of
pulldown methods.

But further in the text there is an opposite statement:
---
Because NTSC is 30000/1001 fps, some processing must be done to
this 24 fps video to make it run at the correct NTSC framerate.
The process is called 3:2 pulldown, commonly referred to as
telecine (because pulldown is often applied during the telecine
process), and, naively described, it works by slowing the film
down to  24000/1001 fps, and repeating every fourth frame.
---

Still here I'm bit confused. In the first statement pulldown is a
common name for telecine methods, and the telecine seems as subset
of the pulldown. In the second statement it is almost vice versa.

Are they (telecine and pulldown terms) synonyms? If they are why
they are used in different ways across documentation? If they
aren't then either it is a typo, or I completely misunderstood
something.

Of cause, I also looked up via wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulldown), but similar unclearness is
there: pulldown is refered as a part of telecine technique but
telecine is refered to pulldown 8-/.

And there is another trouble dependent on previous. How to
understand this:
---
On the other hand, TV series are usually only interlaced, not
telecined.
--
??

Of cause, telecined video is a video in field-based format, that's
why it is interlaced (and not progressive) by definition. But how
video can be interlaced and not telecined simultaneously?
From the context of previous text (in encoding-guide.xml) I can
conclude that this sentece is about video being interlaced without
framerate change, IOW each frame was just transformed into two
field with odd and even lines alternately. Am I right?

But if telecine and pulldown refers to the same process, the last
quotation seems to be senceless, since pulldown is always applied
in order to make interlaced video from progressive.

Please, explain me clearly these incomprehensible concepts and
difference between them.

Thanks for your help.