[MPlayer-advusers] mencoder cannot handle VFR mkv file and mplayer AVI demuxer cannot handle the reencoded file

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 26 10:08:50 CEST 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:40:57PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> mphq: incoming/120fps-mkv/[KTKJ][stratos4_advance][01][big][E72C0C1D].mkv
>>
>> The file is VFR. Particularly, the end credits are 30000/1001 and the rest
>> is 24000/1001. MPlayer reports it as 120000/1001.
>
> Odd, mkv lacks timebase. Why does it have a default frame duration
> matching the timebase? I wonder if this file is really valid..

mkv does have a timebase, mkvmerge just sets it to 1ms unless you specify
otherwise (--timecode-scale). But that's not where the 120000/1001 came
from. mkv also has an optional "default frame duration", and if you remux
from avi, mkvmerge sets it equal to the avi's timebase. afaict, the only
purpose for "default frame duration" is for remuxing from mkv back to a
cfr container, if your content is actaully cfr.

--Loren Merritt