[MPlayer-advusers] sig11 with hardwareframedrop and mpeg12 codec

Marco Graf grafmar at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 21 01:28:29 CET 2005

RC wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:12:49 +0100
> Marco Graf <grafmar at ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
>>Found a sig11 if enabling hardwareframedrop.
>
> Can't help but wonder where I might buy a hardwareframedrop card...  :-)

Okay, got me a while till I saw my mistake ;)

>>If executing the following command mplayer exit's with sig11:
>>mplayer -v -hardframedrop -vo x11 bud.mpeg
>>
>>Probably it's a ffmpeg bug
> Why do you think it is an ffmpeg bug?  The output you sent shows that
> libmpeg2 is being used to decode the video, not ffmpeg.

okay mixed up some things.

> Still, it's not a bug, per-se.  libmpeg2 just isn't very good at
> recovering from the errors (missing keyframes) introduced with
> "-hardframedrop".  libavcodec (ffmpeg) is actually much better about
> broken files like this, and quite probably won't crash if you use "-vfm
> ffmpeg" along with -hardframedrop.  Of course, ffmpeg is generally
> slower than libmpeg2 to begin with, so just using -framedrop
> instead might be better for you.

The problem is not, that I need hardframedropping, but it's a SIGSEGV
that shouldn't happen. No problem if mplayer exits normally, but SIGSEGV
just isn't the right way, right? With ffmpeg I have no problem as you
expected.

- mga

  / __\/__ \ / __/_ /___  \     Marco Graf  marco.graf at schweiz.org
 / / / / / // /_/ / / _   /  Heldaustr. 18  http://redirect.to/mga
/_/ /_/ / / \__/ / /___/_/   9470 Buchs SG  ICQ: 23012328
            /___/	    +41-81-7565109  mobile: +41-78-6030045