[MPlayer-advusers] sig11 with hardwareframedrop and mpeg12 codec

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Nov 21 00:19:53 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:12:49 +0100
Marco Graf <grafmar at ee.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Found a sig11 if enabling hardwareframedrop.

Can't help but wonder where I might buy a hardwareframedrop card...  :-)

> If executing the following command mplayer exit's with sig11:
> mplayer -v -hardframedrop -vo x11 bud.mpeg
>
> Probably it's a ffmpeg bug

Why do you think it is an ffmpeg bug?  The output you sent shows that
libmpeg2 is being used to decode the video, not ffmpeg.

Still, it's not a bug, per-se.  libmpeg2 just isn't very good at
recovering from the errors (missing keyframes) introduced with
"-hardframedrop".  libavcodec (ffmpeg) is actually much better about
broken files like this, and quite probably won't crash if you use "-vfm
ffmpeg" along with -hardframedrop.  Of course, ffmpeg is generally
slower than libmpeg2 to begin with, so just using -framedrop
instead might be better for you.