[MPlayer-advusers] Re: FAAD problem on AMD64: no sound

Daniel Hottinger mplayer at hotti.ch
Fri Mar 25 21:42:50 CET 2005

[update]

First: sorry for the big attachments.

* On the 84th day of the year MMV a.d., Daniel Hottinger wrote:
> * On the 84th day of the year MMV a.d., Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 01:27:08PM +0100, Daniel Hottinger wrote:
> > >
> > > There seems to be a problem with the internal libfaad on amd64.
> > > The sample file has two audio streams: AAC and Ogg/Vorbis. The
> > > playback of the 6-channel AAC stream [faad] is completely silent
> > > (but the volume is normal at 50%) while the playback of the
> > > 2-channel Ogg/Vorbis stream [libvorbis] works. Surround ist not
> > > the problem since wav-files with 6 channels work. Also, on my
> > > laptop (Pentium III, x86) faad works nicely with the same file
> > > and the /same/ relevant output:
> >
> > Hmm, the first thing we need to find out is whether older versions of
> > libfaad that were included in MPlayer before have this problem or not
> > and whether this occurs with external libfaad.  Please try 1.0pre5,
> > which contains libfaad 2.0 and 1.0pre4, which comes with a pre-2.0 CVS
> > snapshot and report back.  Also please try compiling your own libfaad as
> > described in

> libfaad from http://www.audiocoding.com/modules/mydownloads/:
>     -> Latest CVS Snapshot is 2004-09-15. sh bootstrap fails to
>     generate ./configure. (with automake 1.4-p6 and autoconf
>     2.13)

Attila pointed out that Debian uses an old version of automake by
default. With 1.6 I got the latest snapshot to compile. This is
an improvement since now I get sound (sort of). It sounds choppy
and plays too slow. I'll have a deeper look at it tomorrow and
will report my progress.

So long,

Hotti

--
I was trained in the culture of mathematics, so I'm not used to charging
people a penny every time they use a theorem I proved. But I charge somebody