[MPlayer-advusers] playlist parser as a demuxer?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Jan 14 20:21:11 CET 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:53:20PM -0500, compn wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:37:44 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> > > FYI, handling playlists as/with a demuxer is what Arpi planned for G2.

> > > And how is that alleviated by adding -playlist to the command line?
> > > It will still just play whatever file the playlist points at..
> >
> > Yes, but I don't use -playlist, I just download that file and look for
> > the URL.
> >
> > > For better or worse, -playlist is basically the expected behavior for
> > > streams and all other players don't need (obscure) options added to
> > > the command line.
> >
> > "That's how others do it" is not really a good argument.
> > More important is making -playlist work with playlists that point to
> > playlists. But it should not be done with a demuxer, as that demuxer
> > would have to load the true demuxer for demuxing...
> > Instead the files should be added to the playtree (although demuxer.c
> > might be the right place to add the needed code)...
>
> how does mplayer plugin/firefox tell between a playlist and a file?

The same way MPlayer would... And it has the advantage that it can
assume that all filenames start with a protocol specifier like http://
rtsp:// etc.
And no, MIME type won't work. It doesn't even work with "normal" files,
there are just to many plain stupid people creating websites.
Just as an example: that rtsp URL that didn't work with MPlayer but with
RealPlayer, do you know why? The streaming server they used (Darwin
Streaming Server) doesn't support .rm file (only mov). RealPlayer just
does a fallback to "wgetting" the file via a normal webserver on port
80...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger