[MPlayer-advusers] playlist parser as a demuxer?

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 15:16:32 CET 2005

> Hi,
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 03:29:29PM -0500, compn wrote:
> > i know this has been talked about with automatic playlist parsing
> > but what was the final verdict? is it possible to have the parser
> > be called as a demuxer (always the last demuxer) and only for
> > files under 10k filesize (or if on streaming servers that dont
> > report size, for asx, pls, ram, smi, smil)?
> >
> > e.g. -playlist becomes -demuxer 99 ?
>
> I am totally against it, for multiple reason. A playlist is something
> very different than a media file and forcably handling it like one by
> moving a demuxer will most probably become a bug.

quite possible, not coding because things could become bugs have never
stopped anyone before.

> Also there is a security aspect. Playlist can contain any filename
> located anywhere, they should not be executed "just like that" without
> the user knowing about it.

ok, how about
'all demuxers have failed, we dont know what type of file this is'
'y/n to use -playlist parser on it?'

mplayer -playlist http://unknown.file
vs
mplayer http://unknown.file

there is no difference, user is stupid either way. users try to -playlist
anything.

> One thing is e.g. that it could tell mplayer to read /dev/random - this
> could cause some problems with certain programs (yes, bad example I
> know).

i'd then say that the playlist parser shouldnt access such crazy things...
if mplayer's playlist code is not secure then it shouldnt be used currently.

> Also MPlayer has no access to network settings that are e.g. in the
> browser - like maybe a list of hosts to block because they throw around
> with ads.

and also proxy servers.

> The only place where some kind of "automatic" playlist parsing is
> important is in browser plugins. And I really think it should be them
> who should parse it - they have access to browser settings, thus
> should be able to do wiser decisions than MPlayer and often the
> playlist formats are (similar to) things like xml which the browser
> probably supports already anyway.

i agree some playlists are just in html and this should be handled by
browser/plugin, and it is possible to set the mime/extention type to
call mplayer -playlist on files of .pls .smi .smil .ram .asx in the opts
of the browser (if you know where to look)

but majority of users dont use browser plugins (i think only 1 person
in #mplayer per month asks about mplayer-plugin)

> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

thanks for reply anyways (sorry for dupe again, hate my client)

how about 'this file might be a playlist, try with -playlist' ? ;p