[Fwd: Re: [Mplayer-advusers] Problme running mplayer over directfb on i845GL]

scorproy at HotPOP.com scorproy at HotPOP.com
Tue Sep 7 07:05:53 CEST 2004

>>Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>>If you find the documentation lacking (and it is incomplete and
>>>lacking in many parts), tell me what and why you dislike so I can fix
>>>it.
>>>

>>I guess I started this row, and I am sorry for that. I think we should
>>really appreciate what Attila is doing. Regarding documentation,
>>documentation for "mplayer on directfb" is lacking, specifically for
>>directfb on i810 chipsets. Though it was a simple case of adding a
>>filter -vf format=bgr16 so that directfb in i810 can understand the
>>colourspace, it took me 2 days to figure this out.
>>Please let me know if I went wrong somewhere here.
>>

>Could you suggest something to add to
>
>http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/devices.html#directfb
>
>or even better send a patch?

I ran mplayer on directfb giving this command:
*mplayer -vo directfb -vf format=bgr16 */*filename.mpg*./ My system is a
PC with Fedora Core 2 having i845G chipsets. As far as I have
understood, the decoder outputs in a colourspace that is not understood
by the directfb(or frambuffer driver, I am not sure which one)
for i810 and above chipsets. So I have to add a filter to convert the
output to bgr16 format. Also, bgr16 is not a talked about format for us
common users. So my first instinct was to specify rgb16. But then also
some colours were interchanged (blue & red I guess).
Only after seeing the debug output, I tried with bgr16.
My point is, I tried this by using a hit & trial method. Maybe there is
a better way of doing this. So I cannot say what to write in the help
doc,as I am not sure I am technically correct, but if the above method
is correct, you can add it to the directfb section. Also, you can add a
link to /tech/colorspcae.txt/. Though the document might be a bit
overwhleming for a normal user, it might help if a user really wants to
dig into the details.

>Diego

Regards,
Scorproy