[Mplayer-advusers] indeo audio codec

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 15:46:57 CEST 2004

> Hi Compn!
>
> OK, this is a general complaint about your style of writing bug reports...
> They are generally quite useful, BUT ...  It would help if you could be
> just a LITTLe bit more verbose.  Your English is so terse it borders on
> the unintelligible, almost as if you got charged by the word.  Don't
> forget that most people on these lists are not native speakers and have
> some trouble understanding English in the first place.  You have to try
> to make it easy on the others, not place the burden of filling in context
> on them.  If in doubt, always err on the side of verbosity.  BTW, have
> you read bugreports.html? ;-)
>
> I'll run through this now and make some suggestions...
i've read bugreports.html, do you want os/binutils/kernel/etc information?
do you want a full -v output with the lines that say "couldnot find codec
for format 0x402" or your point is to include as much info as possible?
(that is why i linked to the relevent sample dirs)

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:08:49AM -0400, compn wrote:
> > user brought up attention to file with indeo audio codec
>
> Do you mean "A user brought up attention to a file with indeo audio codec
> that did not work"?
yes

> > and codecs.conf entry already found and
> > work fine, please add to codecs.conf :)
>
> Do you mean "and made a codecs.conf entry to make it work, please add that
> entry to codecs.conf."?
the codecs.conf entry was in the sample dir, all ready to go, from 2003 it seems

> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/
> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/codecs.conf
> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/iac25_32.ax
>
> Well, I know that we have a samples dir on mphq, but why the heck are you
> mentioning these URLs?  If there is a particular reason for doing so,
> please state it..
the correct codecs.conf entry is in that samples folder, it is not
in cvs codecs.conf, why not? i do not think this is a popular audio codec, so i
would hesitate putting it in the main codec pack.

audiocodec iac
  info "Intel Indeo Audio Codec"
  status working
  format 0x402
  driver acm
  dll "iac25_32.ax"
  guid 0xb4ca2970, 0xdd2b, 0x11d0, 0x9d, 0xfa, 0x00, 0xaa, 0x00, 0xaf, 0x34, 0x94

> > and a sample file i uploaded
> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/Intel%20Indeo%20Audio%20Codec/sample.avi
>
> Just a note, sample.avi is not an overly good name, it would be nice if it
> could be a tad more descriptive.  I have several samples.avi.
i made a mistake there, most of the files i have uploaded before are
named correctly, hint for me: dont make bugreports while sleepy.

> > (dont use my codecs.conf as i put dshow instead of
> > correct acm for driver)
>
> ???  I'm drawing a complete blank here.  I don't think I have an account
> on your machine, so why would I be using your codecs.conf file?
the codecs.conf entry in that directory that i uploaded is incorrect
i put "driver dshow" instead of "driver acm" , since i cant delete remotely
i must make a point that my codecs.conf entry is wrong

> OK, I have been misreading some things on purpose to make an example, but
> I hope you get the idea.  Please (try to) take this in the good spirit it
> was written as a constructive suggestion.
> Regards
>
> Diego

understandable, writing perfect english is hard work. i will try to be
more concise next time. thanks for the pointers!