[Mplayer-advusers] indeo audio codec

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jun 2 13:42:29 CEST 2004

Hi Compn!

OK, this is a general complaint about your style of writing bug reports...
They are generally quite useful, BUT ...  It would help if you could be just
a LITTLe bit more verbose.  Your English is so terse it borders on the
unintelligible, almost as if you got charged by the word.  Don't forget that
most people on these lists are not native speakers and have some trouble
understanding English in the first place.  You have to try to make it easy
on the others, not place the burden of filling in context on them.  If in
doubt, always err on the side of verbosity.  BTW, have you read
bugreports.html? ;-)

I'll run through this now and make some suggestions...

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:08:49AM -0400, compn wrote:
> user brought up attention to file with indeo audio codec

Do you mean "A user brought up attention to a file with indeo audio codec
that did not work"?

> and codecs.conf entry already found and
> work fine, please add to codecs.conf :)

Do you mean "and made a codecs.conf entry to make it work, please add that
entry to codecs.conf."?

> ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/
> ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/codecs.conf
> ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/A-codecs/Indeo%20Audio/iac25_32.ax

Well, I know that we have a samples dir on mphq, but why the heck are you
mentioning these URLs?  If there is a particular reason for doing so, please
state it..

> and a sample file i uploaded
> ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/Intel%20Indeo%20Audio%20Codec/sample.avi

Just a note, sample.avi is not an overly good name, it would be nice if it
could be a tad more descriptive.  I have several samples.avi.

> (dont use my codecs.conf as i put dshow instead of
> correct acm for driver)

???  I'm drawing a complete blank here.  I don't think I have an account on
your machine, so why would I be using your codecs.conf file?

OK, I have been misreading some things on purpose to make an example, but I
hope you get the idea.  Please (try to) take this in the good spirit it was
written as a constructive suggestion.
Regards

Diego