[Mplayer-advusers] codec tsccvid.dll: playback fails if vid.res. is 1024:768 (device is incompatible with this codec)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 24 09:02:38 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:08:44PM +0100, Thomas Kranz wrote:
> Hi mplayer-users and developers,
>
> I'm posting here because I got a tscc-codec problem and no answer/solution from the
> users list. The codec is in the codec-package of mplayer.
> I've a severe problem: I have here some lectures recorded with a screen capture tool
> developed by Techsmith. The playback of videos with 800:600 works fine but the new
> lectures are recorded with 1024:768 and the playback with the latest mplayer doesn't work:
>
> Opening video decoder: [vfw] Win32/VfW video codecs
> ======= Win32 (VFW) VIDEO Codec init =======
> get_path('registry') -> '/home/thomas/.mplayer/registry'
> Loaded DLL driver tsccvid.dll
> ICDecompressGetFormatSize ret: 40
> ICDecompressGetFormat OK
> VDec: vo config request - 1024 x 768 (preferred csp: Packed YUY2)
> [PP] Using codec's postprocessing, max q = 9.
> Trying filter chain: vo
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> SwScale params: -1 x -1 (-1=no scaling)
> Trying filter chain: scale vo
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> VDecoder init failed :(
> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x63637374.
> Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

If you can't RTFb (NEVER cut mplayer output!) then your post probably
belongs on -users, not -advusers...

> "selected video_out device" is incompatible with this codec is the first hint for me, so I tried different output
> devices and x11 color depth - no success. Has anybody a hint or solution to playback the video.

Your xv driver doesn't support video that big. Either see if you can
configure the X server to reserve more space for xv, or scale the
video down with software scaling (slow), or use a different vo (e.g.
x11, which is slow, or maybe xvidix if possible).

Rich