[Mplayer-advusers] Crash report, 1 of 3

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 21:10:06 CET 2004

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 19:46, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>> -vc ffmpeg1 doesnt crash with it anymore, libmpeg2 still does,
>>> but thats a different bug, ur gdb dump clearly showed that u used
>>> ffmpeg before for mpeg decoding
>>
>> Using ~noon January 1st MPlayer and libavcodec CVS, when I play the
>> file with the same set of config-file defaults and command-line
>> options as used to create the bug report, it reports == Selected
>> video codec: [ffmpeg1] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG 1) == and crashes at
>> the same point. When I add -vc ffmpeg1 to the command
>
> rm libavcodec/*.a ; make
> or 'make dep && make'

Having done so (though the only libavcodec/*.a file was libavcodec.a
itself, which had a modification date of my last recompile earlier
today), it no longer crashes, but it still produces the same
*ridiculous* flood of errors (and the same bad video/audio), including
the delusional message about encrypted VOB files - which to my mind
collectively constituted the larger part of the problem.

>> (And what about the other two crashes, reported at the same time as
>> this one? Both still crash with the aforementioned CVS versions.)
>
> noone cares, as u can see

Grrr. I can understand if something slips people's minds, but as the
program itself says, crashes "shouldn't happen". The automatic response
is of course "if you care that much about it, fix it yourself", but as
I've said before, I do not understand enough about how such things work
to even figure out where to get started; anyway, I read the "MPlayer
crashed. This shouldn't happen" message as indicating that a crash is
something unusual/objectionable enough to be worth caring about, and
when the people who are ostensibly behind that message say outright that
they don't care, I...

...ah, hell with it. Midafternoon on New Year's Day, depressed and
apathetic already...

--
       The Wanderer