[Mplayer-advusers] Re: Still getting seg fault on end of every video

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Wed May 14 17:21:34 CEST 2003

Onno <onnok at web.de> writes:

> whilst not being a developer, i am an advanced user,

Well perhaps that's part of the difference. I am a developer, not of mplayer
of course, but other software.

> and as such i tell you to READ THE FU**ING MANUAL, and please also THE
> DOCUMENTATION !

Heh, I suppose it's useful to have someone send write up this flame
periodically. Not really relevant in this case but at least this way some poor
newbie doesn't have to suffer and might see this message before posting.

I think I detect the source of the frustration though. It suspect people just
don't believe me that it happens on every single movie. They really want to
see output from mplayer and a sample movie file and think if they just saw
that they would be able to reproduce it.

Looking at the backtrace I really don't believe that. I believe the bug is in
the option parser for some module that builds on my machine because of the
available libraries that perhaps isn't building on your machine because some
of those libraries aren't available.

Just by way of demonstration, I can reproduce the bug playing /dev/null with
the null video output driver. Incidentally, there seems to be a different bug
in that the x11 driver is shut down at the end even though it was using the
null driver. Or perhaps that's just a quirk of the sig11 handler?

I don't think this output is actually useful to help debug, the backtrace
already made this conclusion pretty obvious. But perhaps people were
skeptical?

bash-2.05b$ mplayer -vo null /dev/null
Using GNU internationalization
Original domain: messages
Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
Current domain: mplayer
Current dirname: /usr/local/share/locale

MPlayer dev-CVS-030513-10:42-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
Reading config file /home/stark/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/stark/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/home/stark/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 55 audio & 144 video codecs
font: can't open file: /home/stark/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
Can't open input config file /home/stark/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /dev/null
Falling back on trying to parse playlist /dev/null...
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. For details, see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your gcc
  version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read DOCS/bugreports.html
  and follow the instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you provide
  this information when reporting a possible bug.
bash-2.05b$ mplayer -v -vo null /dev/null
Using GNU internationalization
Original domain: messages
Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
Current domain: mplayer
Current dirname: /usr/local/share/locale

MPlayer dev-CVS-030513-10:42-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
Reading config file /home/stark/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/stark/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/home/stark/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 55 audio & 144 video codecs
CommandLine: '-v' '-vo' 'null' '/dev/null'
get_path('font/font.desc') -> '/home/stark/.mplayer/font/font.desc'
font: can't open file: /home/stark/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
init_freetype
Using MMX (with tiny bit MMX2) Optimized OnScreenDisplay
Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
get_path('input.conf') -> '/home/stark/.mplayer/input.conf'
Can't open input config file /home/stark/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
get_path('null.conf') -> '/home/stark/.mplayer/null.conf'

Playing /dev/null
Not an URL!
[file] File size is 0 bytes
STREAM: [file] /dev/null
STREAM: Description: File
STREAM: Author: Albeu
STREAM: Comment: based on the code from ??? (probably Arpi)
Checking for YUV4MPEG2
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a71f8
ASF_check: not ASF guid!
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a71f8
Checking for NuppelVideo
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a71f8
Checking for REAL
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a71f8
Checking for SMJPEG
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a71f8
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
Searching demuxer type for filename /dev/null ext: (null)
Checking for MOV
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
Checking for VIVO
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x4 !
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
Checking for PVA
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
************Checking for TS************
NOT A TS FILE1
TRIED UP TO POSITION 1, FOUND 0, packet_size= 0
BUF: 00 00 00 00, PID 0, SIZE: 0
PID 0, COMPARE CC 0 AND LAST_CC -1
BUF: 00 00 00 00, PID 0, SIZE: 0
PID 0, COMPARE CC 0 AND LAST_CC 0
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
MPEG packet stats: p100: 0  p101: 0 p1B6: 0 p12x: 0 sli: 0 a: 0 b: 0 c: 0 idr: 0 sps: 0 pps: 0 PES: 0  MP3: 0
Not MPEG System Stream format... (maybe Transport Stream?)
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
Checking for DV
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x85a7b98
Falling back on trying to parse playlist /dev/null...
Error while parsing playlist
Warning empty playlist
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. For details, see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your gcc
  version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read DOCS/bugreports.html
  and follow the instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you provide
  this information when reporting a possible bug.
vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..

--
greg