[Mplayer-advusers] Re: Still getting seg fault on end of every video

Onno onnok at web.de
Wed May 14 12:34:05 CEST 2003

Hi,

to support developers sometimes users have to be explained the way
it works, so please think it over before posting here:

Greg Stark schrieb:
> Attila Kinali <kinali at gmx.net> writes:
>

>>On 13 May 2003 11:55:27 -0400
>>Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>I've been seeing this bug continuously since, oh, a few months ago. This is
>>>from a fresh checkout from CVS with
>>>./configure --enable-smb --enable-dvdnav --enable-menu --enable-gui --enable-live
>>
>>Thanks for the bugreport, but this doesnt help us, you should at least
>>tell us what you do (you arent cooking coffee with mplayer ?)
>

> I'm, uh, playing videos. I'm not sure what else I could be doing. It happens
> on any video stream regardless of the type or the display method. I just type
> "mplayer foo.wmv" and it plays the video, then seg faults. If I type "mplayer
> foo.avi foo.mpg" then it seg faults after the first one, which is pretty
> annoying.
>
> This is the same bug that I posted to mplayer-users about in message
> <87el32aljk.fsf at stark.dyndns.tv> on April 22. I included a config.mak and
> config.h there.
>
> And it's the same bug I've read in various online reviews of mplayer, so it's
> not like it's just my system or just in the CVS tip. This is a perennial bug
> that seems to keep cropping up and keeps getting fixed and refixed. The odd
> thing this time is that it's been months and hasn't been fixed.

Hi,

whilst not being a developer, i am an advanced user, and as such
i tell you to READ THE FU**ING MANUAL, and please also
THE DOCUMENTATION !

As you might know, there is no MASTER MAINTAINER for mplayer at
the moment, (i hope arpi wont leave us totally, but his mc clone rocks)
and your useless post to the list ADVANCED users does show, that you
are not advanced user, so please don't bother the encouraged remaining
developers by abusing this list as your :
"please help i'm to dumb to read" posting-field.

I write this so aggressively, since you still REFUSE to give AT LEAST
a proper bug report, AS EXPLAINED IN THE MANUAL AND README !

If you don't understand why its up to YOU to bring the needed information
to fix this bug (including the repeated send in of proper bug reports),
you should honestly stop using gpl software and by real-one.

Even if all your claims are right (it's a come-back bug; you posted
"something" about it on other lists at other times; other (not
mentioned) sources agree with you) you still DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT
to infringe the people answering you, since _YOU_ lazy guy STILL
didn't manage to give a full, proper, useful bugreport, for a
software you got for free.

Imagine the people working on this don't like sending lazy folks mails
to each other, just because this lazy folks don't wont to resent mails
(or even generate a bug report, PLEASE read about that in the manual)

Regards Onno

P.S.
Whew what a flame, but believe me im using mplayer on 8 pc's for real
A/V soft-backend purposes(mpeg4-mpeg1 transcoding,replay of any kind of
media,encoding,filtering,postprocessing,..). And after one year i can
sing the documentation and write down the man page in reverse, and still
my first look is "man mplayer" the second "links
/mplayer/doc/de/dokumentation.html"  then these mailing lists, google,
and then i might think to  post on one of the mailing list to figure out
if i was right, i then had never to make a bugreport, because i either
knew what was wrong on my side , or i fixed it my self (most of the
times a workaround like setting the demultiplexer or forcing a certain
decoder).

Only once the docs didn't include everything needed, i wrote down all i
didn't, and what should have came out, and viola i got the developers
reply within 4 hours, explaining me the usage of the linux /dev/null and
/dev/console (so it wasn't a mplayer thing at all).