[Mplayer-advusers] Full Screen Crash

Wolfgang Baudler wbaudler at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 15:43:46 CEST 2003

--- Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> Wolfgang Baudler wrote:
> > As soon as I switch to full screen mode when using
> xv
> > output on the 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600SW the X
> server
> > crashes and I am back at the login screen. Mplayer
> > does not produce a core file at this point. This
> > happens with all window managers I tried (KDE,
> Gnome,
> > WindowMaker and Failsafe as it comes with
> Redhat9).
> >
> > Other then that I really enjoy mplayer and all its
> > nice features and I would be glad to see that bug
> > fixed.
> >

> Mplayer really should not be able to crash your X
> server. If this his
> happening, then I would suspect you have a bug in
> your video drivers, or
> perhaps elsewhere in XFree86.
>
> What video output are you using with mplayer (xv,
> sdl, x11...)? Try
> seeing if you get the same crash with other programs
> using that same
> output method.
>
> You should examine your XFree86 log to see if
> there's any revealing
> information. The file is probably
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log or something
> similar, depending on how Redhat handles things.
>
> You haven't posted the text of mplayer's output,
> probably because you
> never see it. :) If you want to see the messages,
> then this should
> capture them for you:
> $ mplayer -v movie.avi &>/tmp/mplayer.log
>
> -Corey

It only happens with xv output and the X server
crashes just when I hit the "F" key for fullscreen. It
does not happen with x11 output for example, but x11
output does not scale the video.. I get huge black
borders around the video.

I did a little "printf" debugging myself and traced it
down to the call of XMoveResizeWindow() in
libvo/x11_common.c. The crash seems to happen when
this call is made, so I suspect a bug in the xv
portion of the glint driver...

(the call to XMoveResizeWindow() also happens with x11
output and then it does not crash, so it must be some
xv bug).

Wolfgang