[Mplayer-advusers] Full Screen Crash

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Aug 11 07:07:38 CEST 2003

Wolfgang Baudler wrote:
> As soon as I switch to full screen mode when using xv
> output on the 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600SW the X server
> crashes and I am back at the login screen. Mplayer
> does not produce a core file at this point. This
> happens with all window managers I tried (KDE, Gnome,
> WindowMaker and Failsafe as it comes with Redhat9).
>
> Other then that I really enjoy mplayer and all its
> nice features and I would be glad to see that bug
> fixed.

Mplayer really should not be able to crash your X server. If this his
happening, then I would suspect you have a bug in your video drivers, or
perhaps elsewhere in XFree86.

What video output are you using with mplayer (xv, sdl, x11...)? Try
seeing if you get the same crash with other programs using that same
output method.

You should examine your XFree86 log to see if there's any revealing
information. The file is probably /var/log/XFree86.0.log or something
similar, depending on how Redhat handles things.

You haven't posted the text of mplayer's output, probably because you
never see it. :) If you want to see the messages, then this should
capture them for you:
$ mplayer -v movie.avi &>/tmp/mplayer.log

-Corey