[Mplayer-advusers] vidix mga_vid sig11

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Jan 16 08:15:33 CET 2002

Hello, Attila!

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:04:57 +0100 you wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:29:22 +0300
> Nick Kurshev <nickols_k at mail.ru> wrote:
>
> > > But anyways, it shouldnt segfault as normal user.
> > >
> > For that you should SUID mplayer.
>
> No, it should not segfault. An error msg is ok, but not a segfault.

Any ideas and your preliminary implementation please!
> > It's known bug of xvidix since it's initial release only.
> > (Should be fixed later)
> > Try resize it svereal times - sometime it changes movie size.
>
> I just reported it in case you didnt know :-)
>

> But, what i'd like to know is. Can vidix be set up that
> mplayer does not need any root priviledges ?
> Or is it a technical limit ?

Could you imaging self working with IO space without ROOT privileges
from use-space?
Try remove SUID bit drom /usr/X11/bin/XFree86 executable and tell me results ;)

> I somewhat liked the mga_vid system as it didnt need
> any root priviledges on the binary and i could control
> access to it over the normal unix way (setting permissions
> on the char device).
>
> Is anything like this or something similar planed ?
When tou use mga_vid.o driver  - it's possible since it's
kernel one. But VIDIX is user-space techology. (It accesses
to IO port from user-level). Even if you set permission on
/dev/mem you'll need also use ioperm function.
(But I can't imaging self what will difference between
ROOT and USER in case when USER will have right for
reading/writing from/to "/dev/mem". In this connexion
setting SUID bit on mplayer is much safety operation (imho).