[Mplayer-advusers] New standards

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Dec 13 19:27:56 CET 2001

Hello!

I'm still very interesting with standards for kernel_vid drivers in mplayer stuff!!!
Unfortunately, Romain Dolbeau have wrote me:
 Well, apparently Linux stated he wants IOCTL out of the kernel,
 so I guess a new IOCTL-based interface is out of question :-(
 It _might_ be integrated in 2.4 (it was designed for 2.4.x,
 after all), but I don't think there'll be enough interest.

 OTOH, your stuff is apparently using an non-IOCTL
 interface ; if you can make it chipset-independant,
 it will be of interest. Also, more parameters
 will be needed I think.
It seems that his stuff will never appeared in the Linux.
OTOH - GATOS have leave linuxvideo and have been moved into sf.net.
As I understand - mplayer is only project which contains all kernel_vid
drivers. So we have chance to develop new standard ;)
It's need for futured development of our drivers.
(M$ implemented new DirectX standards enough frequently but we are
behind now :( ). mga_vid currently is bottleneck for radeon :(
We should expand it or introduce new interface.
Well - it would be possible to implement fbvid.h based interface
or any other.
As I already wrote - there will no problem of backward compatibility
with existed matrox drivers.

Any idea, suggestions, commentaries - PLEASE!!!

Best regards! Nick