[MEncoder-users] mencoder asks to "use -absf aac_adtstoasc" - but -absf is an unknown option

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Wed Aug 21 01:53:45 CEST 2013

Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de in gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user (Tue, 20
Aug 2013 22:17:21 +0200 (CEST)):
>Nicolas George wrote:
>> if you need bitstream filters,
>I don't. ;-)
>And my old mencoder 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.3 did not need them either.
>
>Thus, it took me by surprise when the new mencoder garbled valid video files.

Your commandline fails when you try to encode -oac faac. Before
30/04/2013 the error was only issued when someone tried to encode to
codec_id AV_CODEC_ID_AAC.

I tracked down when I patched my FFmpeg and made the error not fatal
anymore. That was for FFmpeg 1.2.1, which contained this patch by Carl
Eugen:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=b448c0a68d0cc7dfef736267dfdaed0e213c020b

There is a chance that the original FFmpeg 1.2 still works OK, when you
compile it into MEncoder. If you want to try it:
http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-1.2.tar.bz2

Yes, it needs another compilation but it would be interesting to know if
FFmpeg 1.2 produces correct files, where later FFmpeg's do not.

Jan