[MEncoder-users] mencoder asks to "use -absf aac_adtstoasc" - but -absf is an unknown option

Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de
Tue Aug 20 22:17:21 CEST 2013

Nicolas George wrote:
> Do you really need to use mencoder?
Maybe not. I am using it out of convenience. A couple of years ago I created a number of scripts and profiles in mencoder.conf
that would automate everything mythtv's transcode and ffmpeg at that time would not do for me.
So I have just been lazy enough to stick to those scripts.

On Tuesday, 20.08.2013, 12:34 +0000 Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> MEncoder is not an actively maintained application for
> several years,
OK - I did not know that mencoder was deprecated.

> if you need bitstream filters,
I don't. ;-)
And my old mencoder 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.3 did not need them either.

Thus, it took me by surprise when the new mencoder garbled valid video files.

> Please remember to always use current git head if you
> are not a distributor yourself.
Oh? So the list is only for "bleeding edge" users, all others are referred to their distribution's bug tracking system?
I could not remember, because I did not know. This would be valuable information on the list's subscription page.

Regards

Oliver