[MEncoder-users] Audio Sync issues

Andrew Bowden bods at durge.org
Thu Sep 15 10:03:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 22:14 -0400, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to convert some h.264 videos (from my Hauppauge HD-PVR)
> into divx so that it can be played back on a Sylvania portable DVD
> player with an SD card slot.
>
> The transcoded file can be played back successfully using vlc on my PC,
> but when I play it on the portable unit, the audio is extremely out of
> sync.  Can anyone provide guidance on how to improve the audio sync.
>
> The command that I'm using is below.
>
> mencoder infile.mpg -noodml -ffourcc XVID -vf scale=720:480 -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:threads=8:vbitrate=4000:cmp=2:subcmp=2:trell=yes:v4mv=yes:mbd=2:aspect=16/9 -oac pcm -channels 6 -o outfile.avi
>
> Thanks in advance

I had a very similar problem to this myself, although for me the video
wouldn't play properly in VLC either.  What happened for me, and I guess
for you, is that duplicate video frames are being found by mencoder and
then simply dumped as you record.  I found that adding in

-vf harddup

sorted it out as it ensures that the duplicate video frames aren't
thrown away.

I'm not an expert by any means but it worked for me.

Andrew