[MEncoder-users] MENCODER Hard Locks System - FC14x86

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 20:42:41 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 03:33:14AM -0700, Bill McClintock wrote:
> To answer your last statements...SD and HD content create the same
> temps 53c as the Athlon is really slow so both push 100% for the
> duration of the transcode.  I'll try mdb=1 / 2 if I move back to
> mencoder.  You mentioned my command line is suboptimal.  Given the
> command line below do you have a suggestion for a more optimal one?
> All I am really looking for is a way to get the streams down to a
> reasonable size.  Faster the better.  I log compression ratios in a
> file and they average from 23-27 percent of original size.

Since you want fast, 2-pass isn't an option, however using -vqscale
instead of a bit-rate should give you more constant quality and
thus better compression for the same minimum quality.
Bitrate however is not really predictable in that case.
In addition, a fixed -vqscale tends to result in a bit faster
encoding as well.
You just need to figure out a value that works for you.